Friday, February 5, 2010

Super Bowl Snowpocalypse 2010: The Snowening

I am so stoked for the storm we have on tap. According to the latest numbers from Foot's Forecast, we could see 26 to 34 inches by the time this whole thing is finished tomorrow night. Here's my favorite part:
SATURDAY Heavy snow continues overnight and into the day across much of the Mid-Atlantic south of the PA/NY border, accumulating 3-4" per hour in some locations for 4 or more hours. Thundersnow, lightning and gusty winds are possible. Coastal winds increase to gale force as the secondary low wraps up along the North Carolina coast while moving slowly northeast.

Did you read that? Thundersnow! THUNDERSNOW!

Naturally, everybody is flipping out and over-shopping. I stopped by my local Super Fresh last night around 11:00 pm to pick up some half-and-half (I need my coffee if I'm going to be stuck in my apartment all weekend). I figured the crazy rush would be over, and I'd be in and out with no problem.

Wrong. There were more people than shopping carts, and the checkout line (which was more of a mob) stretched all the way across the store to the entrance. People had their carts loaded as if they were stockpiling food for a two-week lockdown in their lead-lined zombie-proof bunkers. So I decided to come back in the morning.

When I returned around 6:00 this morning, Super Fresh was essentially cleaned out. There was no meat, no milk, few eggs, barely any vegetables, and no bread.


I overheard one employee say, "I have never ever seen this before. We have nothing in the back." Everyone working there looked shell-shocked and exhausted.

Are people really planning on eating that much food over what essentially could be a three-day weekend? I suppose, since the Super Bowl is on Sunday, people wanted to stock up on food for the grill and/or crock pot. But still, all the meat? All of it?

For continuing coverage, be sure to keep an eye on my Flickr set, Super Bowl Snowpocolypse 2010: The Snowening, and of course, up-to-the-minute-ish continuing coverage right here on The Gavin Show.

So, the real question is, who's ready for take this thundersnowpocalypse party to Frazier's tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment