Monday, February 1, 2010

Steve Hely

Over the holidays, my dad gave me a copy of a novel called How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely. I'd never heard of him, but he has his own Wikipedia entry. According to the back of the book:
Steve Hely was a writer for The Late Show with David Letterman and the Fox animated comedy American Dad. He is also coauthor of the comic travelogue The Ridiculous Race.
I'm on page 107 of How I Became a Famous Novelist, and it's great. It's funny, smart, and delightfully tackles the clichés found in modern literary fiction, the airport thrillers, and cuts right to the core of what Americans like in their pop culture (food comes up quite often).

So, I figured, this was perfect. I'd swing over to his site and write about it here. That would be some easy material for the first assignment in my Electronic Publishing class. How does he showcase his writing online? What does he do that works, and what doesn't work as well? One problem: he doesn't seem to have a website. He's on Twitter, and other than a few interviews, he doesn't really seem to have a place to hang his digital hat.

He has a blog set up for Pete Tarslaw, the main character in his novel, called End of Books. I only skimmed it because I don't want to accidentally stumble into any spoilers.

So, my search continues. I should keep a running list of author links in the sidebar here. You know, assuming I can think of some writers that actually have websites. Thanks for making this assignment just a little bit tougher, Steve!

No comments:

Post a Comment