Wednesday, February 3, 2010

An Explanation

I never sufficiently explained my assignment for this week. Basically, I'm supposed to look at the way writers are representing themselves online. Are they showcasing their work? Are they expressing their personalities? What works? What doesn't? And most importantly, what can I share in class that will get me an A?

Steve Hely struck out. Michael Chabon has a neat little site he hammered out in an afternoon. I had to think: Who is a fiction writer and tech-savvy enough to set up a site for his or her writing? Or, at least, tech-savvy enough to hire someone to do it on his or her behalf?

I had an idea. Dave Eggers. He's got McSweeney's going for him. Surely he put together a neat little presence for himself and his writing endeavors!

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. What is it with writers? Once they get famous enough to have a Wikipedia page, they neglect to build a website?

Actually, that's awesome. I've just set a goal for myself. Let me write that down. "Become famous enough for someone to write a Wikipedia page about me." Wow, I'm learning already!

1 comment:

  1. That is so true, Gavin. It's seems like writers of an older generation do not have their own websites. I guess they feel that the writing should sell itself--in a way I agree with that, but also you have to know how to market yourself.

    ReplyDelete