Thursday, February 18, 2010

Still No Internet

It's stopped being just an inconvenience. At first, I thought I'd be fine without Internet access at home. But I realized last week that it's more than just a conduit for entertainment. The Internet is absolutely my primary communication tool. I use it to reach out to friends and family far more than I use my phone. I use Skype to talk with friends and family. I use email and instant messages to fire off quick notes. I use Twitter to keep tabs on my friends in the neighborhood (and last week, I used it quite a bit for snow updates from around the region).

My lack of Internet access has passed annoyance and is now distressing. I've been writing blog posts and saving them to my hard drive, hoping to upload them whenever I have access to wifi. At work, most every non-work-related site is blocked. Besides, I'm usually too busy to get anything done for outside endeavors anyway.

The library is closed by the time I get home from work. None of my neighbors seem to have open wifi networks. (Come on, guys! Help a guy out.) And what's really amazing is that none of the local businesses in Hampden seem to have free wifi either. So, unless I want to type with my thumbs on my phone, my options are limited to writing offline and posting whenever I happen to stumble upon access.

Comcast has been re-scheduled to come and fix the snapped wire on Saturday between 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. I'm not sure how they're going to get back there and actually repair the line. The telephone pole to which it connects currently stands in about two feet of unplowed snow, which has melted and subsequently re-frozen into ice. Trash and recycling pickup has been suspended until alleys like mine get plowed. Still, I'm optimistic that Comcast will perform a miracle on Saturday, which will mark two full weeks without Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment